Radja Nainggolan has agreed a contract extension with Roma, effectively ending Manchester United and Chelsea’s chances of signing the Belgian this summer.
The former Cagliari midfielder had been interesting the two Premier League giants, as well as Serie A heavyweights Inter Milan, but Roma president James Pallotta told reporters at an airport on Sunday that the deal had been agreed.
When asked about the Nainggolan deal Pallotta said, as quoted by Football Italia: “Yes, it’s done. Finally, no?”
Pallotta had previously asserted that Nainggolan, along with defender Kostas Manolas, would not be sold this summer.
He said, as quoted by Four Four Two: “Nainggolan and Manolas will stay with us, they are not moving from Roma.
“I think we have the best midfield in Italy. In defence we will improve and we can do that by buying some new players.
“We have a plan for the market, there is a list of players who we are analysing, we have been thinking about some of them for a long time.”
“We’re thinking about players based on their potential.”
Nainggolan has emerged as one of the best goalscoring midfielders in Europe over the past few seasons, scoring 11 goals and contributing five assists in 37 Serie A appearances last term.
The 29-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Chelsea last summer before Antonio Conte’s side opted for N’Golo Kante, while Manchester United are also said to be interested in signing him.
Both sides have been active in the summer transfer window, with Chelsea signing Antonio Rudiger and Tiemoue Bakayoko and United securing the signatures of Victor Lindelof and Romelu Lukaku.