Date published: Thursday 29th June 2017 9:10

Bertrand Traore says that he “did everything” to fight for a first-team place at Chelsea, but he knew he would “never get a spot”.

Traore joined Lyon earlier this month in a deal worth an initial £8.8m, which could almost double with add-ons.

Chelsea have inserted a buy-back clause into the transfer, having reignited his career on loan at Ajax.

He scored 13 goals in 35 games for the Eredivisie club, but played just 16 games in three years at Chelsea.

In an interview with the London Evening Standard, the 21-year-old said he “did not want to re-live the same scenario” of not being given opportunities at Stamford Bridge.

“It was time. Considering my age and for my development, it was time for me to leave the club,” he said.

“I could have stayed at Chelsea and played a few minutes in every game, fighting every day for a spot, knowing that I’ll never get a spot, I trained at the club, I did everything.

“Two seasons ago, I challenged the starters but we all know what happened last year. I was there during pre-season and then I was sent out on loan.

“So this year, I did not want to re-live the same scenario. It was time for me to find a stable club where I could play first-team football, where I could be one of the key players in the team.

“To be one of the key players in the team, you need to fight, and here, I’ll do everything to be amongst them, and I’ll give everything for the club.”

Source: http://www.football365.com/news/traore-aims-dig-at-chelsea-over-first-team-chances