Juventus have confirmed Brazilian full-back Dani Alves’ exit from the club after a single season.
The 34-year-old, who joined the Turin-based side from Barcelona last summer, now seems set for the Premier League, with Chelsea and Manchester City hot on his heels.
The player’s representatives met with Juve bosses earlier this week and it was decided that he would have to opt out of his two-year deal in order to hold talks with the English sides.
And Wednesday, Juve’s CEO Giuseppe Marotta confirmed Alves’ departure, wishing the player luck and revealing that there was bitterness on the clubs part in the same breath.
“It is not failure, motivation is important for a player,” he said to Tutto Juve. “Dani Alves has forced us to consider alternative, we will make a consensual resolution, and we wish him every bit of luck.
“Surely there is bitterness for what he said, but I confirm that there was no break in communication.”
Pep Guardiola is desperate for a reunion with the player he coached at Barca, and it is believed that things are already in the works for Alves to join City. But Chelsea boss Antonio Conte wants to sign him as well, and it may come down to who the player most wants to join.
If anything, though, Alves leaving Juve will make it so that the Serie A champions try to hold on to Blues target Alex Sandro even more, making things doubly difficult for the Premier League kings.