Chelsea could have acquired the ‘next Roberto Carlos’ if they are successful in their pursuit of Juventus’ Alex Sandro.
That is according to none other than the man himself i.e. Brazil legend RobertoCarlos, who told Tuttosport that he considers I Bianconeri’s left-back to be the closest example of the type of player he was in his pomp.
The interview in question took place in September 2015 ahead of Sandro’s switch to Juventus from then-club Porto, but Carlos claimed that his compatriot could be considered his successor due to his marauding runs down the left flank to contribute to both attacking and defensive areas of the pitch.
Alex Sandro is a world class player and an unbelievable signing if we do get him but there is still a lot of work to do this summer.
— Uber Chelsea FC (@UberCheIseaFC) June 18, 2017
He said: “It’s true, he’s similar to me and if he continues like this he could be my successor. You will see, you’ll be satisfied by him. He’s a great guy who is alert. I’ve watched him play in the few times he played for the national team and with Porto.
“He’s a technical, modern full-back, someone who can defend and attack. In Brazil he gets compared to me and to tell the truth I see myself in him a bit.
“He doesn’t shoot like me, but that’s because very few people possess a shot like mine. For the rest, we have different common characteristics.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 20, 2017
“In fact, I must admit that I think Alex Sandro has a more accurate cross than I had, that’s really one of his specialities. His crosses are almost always inviting for strikers. This is a great advantage for Morata and Mandzukic – Alex Sandro is definitely a wing-back who is adept at providing assists.”
Reports on Tuesday appeared to suggest that Chelsea had been rebuffed by Juventus after they made an offer for 26-year-old Sandro, with the media stating that Juve CEO Giuseppe Marotta had refused an “important” bid – thought to be around 50m euros – for the star’s services.
That is not thought to have put the Premier League champions off in their attempts to sign Sandro, however, and manager Antonio Conte is believed to have instructed owner Roman Abramovich to return to Turin with an improved offer.
Sandro joined Juventus from Porto in August 2015 for a fee thought to be in the region of £22m.
The six-times capped international, who is also capable of playing further up the field as a winger, has appeared 75 times in his two seasons with the Serie A champions.