Date published: Sunday 11th June 2017 12:20
Liverpool could be embroiled in yet another tapping-up row with regards to the signing of Dominic Solanke.
The Reds announced earlier this month that they had come to an agreement with striker Solanke to sign him from Chelsea upon the expiration of his Stamford Bridge contract this summer.
But The Sun claim an exclusive that the Reds ‘face a tapping-up quiz’ over the deal that will see the 19-year-old join on July 1.
They report that the move ‘will go to tribunal’, which is simply commonplace for the transfer of a player under the age of 24 at the end of their contract.
Still, Mike McGrath says that said tribunal will ‘put Kop transfers in the spotlight again,’ and that ‘the timeline of the transfer will come to light later this year’.
That second point is salient as, according to McGrath, ‘rules state that out-of-contract players can talk to domestic clubs after the third week in May.’
The Solanke deal was announced after this point at the end of the season, but Liverpool’s move for the striker was first reported in February.
Chelsea are said to be ‘fuming’ about the situation.
It might very well be true, but the Solanke deal was announced on May 30. Why only now is it coming to light that Chelsea are annoyed about the situation? Or, more to the point, why has it come to light after the Virgil van Dijk fiasco? Weird.