AC Milan have joined the race to sign Chelsea striker Diego Costa and have reportedly made contact with his agent.
That is according to Sky Sources, with the two parties now said to be in negotiations over a deal which would come as a huge shock to many.
BREAKING: AC Milan are in talks with Diego Costa’s agent about a possible deal for the Chelsea striker – Sky sources #SSNHQ
— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) June 8, 2017
Costa was close to leaving the Blues in January after a fallout with manager Antonio Conte, but remained in west London to help the club lift the Premier League title.
However, recent comments suggest his future at Stamford Bridge is all but over and it has likely sparked the interest from Milan.
Speaking after Spain’s 2-2 draw with Colombia on Wednesday, Costa said, per BBC: “My relationship with the coach has been bad this season. It’s a shame, I’ve already forwarded the message to Chelsea people to decide.
“You have to find a team.”
Costa had been linked with a move back to Atletico Madrid, but after their transfer ban was upheld, that route looks blocked off.
Rumours of a move to China have also gone quiet leaving Milan with a free shot at getting their man.
Under new Chinese ownership, the Serie A giants would be able to put together a lucrative package for the prolific forward.
So far, the club have already signed Mateo Mussachio and Franck Kessie with deals for Lucas Biglia and Ricardo Rodriguez close to being confirmed.
They had previously been interested in Alvaro Morata and Andrea Belotti but both would cost over £70m.
With Costa’s new availability, Milan may be able to complete a deal for a smaller price and getting a player of the same, if not higher, quality.